Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Checkered Flag!!!!

If I've learned anything through all of this it's that "Family Comes First", because it's highly unlikely that years from now I'll look back at my life and say.... "Gee I wish I would have spent more time at work." 

My former boss, who is still a good friend, said that to me about six months ago as she was getting ready to leave work and stay home so she could spend more time with her family.   She was the one who hired me and I really enjoyed working with her.  She found out she had Cancer and she's got a tough road ahead of her to beat that stupid disease.  During one of our conversations she said to me, "You're not going to look back and wish you would have worked more, take the time off and spend it with your family.  You only get these years with them once, so go enjoy it!"  Wise advise from a wise lady if you ask me.

So with the above in mind I took time off last week to spend with the family and I left work early yesterday in order to get home in time to get our son ready for his BMX race and get him to practice early.  I named this blog "The Dad Blog" when I started because it's the first thing that came to mind and it seems so fitting now because focusing on the family is what a Dad is suppose to do.  Anyway, I got home early last night and hurried to get our son Tyler ready so we could head out the door to practice before the race.  He loves racing and he's been doing quite well so far so we bought him a new Race Bike and last night was the first time he got to race it.

During Practice Wendy was nervous watching Tyler go over the jumps as he would get the bike completely off the ground.  Each jump resulted in a gasp of air from Wendy as she clutched her heart every Tyler went airborne.  Tyler flew around the track finishing 2nd in the qualifying round which automatically transferred him to the Main Event!  When the time came for the Main Event Tyler took off out of the gate at full speed and he was in second place at the end of the first straightaway, but a quick dive to the inside on turn number one gave Tyler the lead and he never looked back!  He held the lead for the remainder of the race beating the rider in 2nd place by over four bike lengths.  It was his very first Feature Win!!!  Yes, it's true...  I won't look back years from now and say, "Gee, I wish I would have worked more."  The rewards of family are great, cherish each and every one of them and take lots of pictures along the way...

Tyler gets his first Feature WIN!!!  November 2nd 2010  BMX RACE  7 Year old Novice Class.
Congratulations from Mom is the coolest thing ever....  Second only to me figuring out how to upload photos on a blog..  LOL!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Tyler! Congrats! But I think more of a congrats is in order to you Chris, as you have figured out what truly is important in life..it's not the things..but the people!

    ReplyDelete